Thursday, April 15, 2010

Teaching English Reading

So today was my first non-English conversation class. At my new school, there is a different curriculum from my last school. At this school I have to teach English Reading to all first year students. Today was my first two lessons. Needless to say, I was quite nervous about it all.

Each class consisted of 42 students. I have never taught a class of such size before in Japan, so I really didn't know what to expect. To raise the pressure, I had never taught with my teaching partner before. I literally just met him about 1 week ago! So we didn't know each others style. Anyway, I'm glad to report that the classes went just fine. The students were very enthusiastic and friendly. The English level at this school is fairly decent as well. This reading class is not an elective therefore they must take the class. That means that many students are assumed to not care about English. Luckily for me the students did like English. There was not even one student sleeping either class for 50 minutes. That would never have happened in Matsubara High School.

My lesson consisted of a sparsely laid out plan of introducing class greetings, bonus point rules and class rules. Then the last goal was to introduce Texas and myself to the students, giving out bonus points to students that answered questions or asked them. Overall it went smoothly considering all the obstacles. Afterwards my teaching partner and I discussed ways we could improve the class. I think that we worked well together!

I ate lunch in my school cafeteria on Monday for the first time. One of my fellow teachers came along with me to introduce me to the staff. As I first entered the cafeteria, I was shocked to see how nice it was. At my old school, the cafeteria staff consisted of some old guy and a young kid. At my new school there were 6 ladies cooking up a storm! The selection was excellent and I even got a tray! That made my day right there. My test was to order the same thing that I always ordered at my old school, curry rice. So came my piping hot bowl of curry rice, with a side of macaroni salad and tea. Delicious! Much better than the goo I was served before. At that point I knew, this year was going to be good. haha


Typical bowl of Curry rice w/pork cutlet. Delicious!


peace

vince

p.s. here is the link for my high school's website! http://www.osaka-c.ed.jp/kunijima

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are in a better environment! At my school, it feels like a home away from home b/c the faculty are just so friendly and awesome...I get the feeling it is going to be that way with you too! I was so excited to read your new post! Keep 'em coming!! (That's what she said) lol. I am going to check out your school website :)
    Talk to you soon!
    Love,
    Lynn
    P.S.
    Kudos to you for keeping 42 students engaged!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude that is freaking awesome, im glad you are doing good at your school.. oh yeah thanks for updating the blog, i was getting worried for a little bit.. love danny

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!