Friday, February 27, 2009

Rain + Bike = epic fail

Hello everybody! Sorry it's been about a week since my last post. A lot of things have happened this past week!
First off, today is raining like crazy. I normally love rain, but when I have to ride my bike in the rain it really sucks. I get to work all in shambles. My jeans are soaked with water and my bag is a bit damp. Ah well! Last weekend I had a small gathering for my co-workers at my apartment. I made it a Tex-Mex party. So I cooked up authentic Chicken Fajitas (if you don't know what these are click here for English or here for 日本語。) I also made some Guacamole, Nachos, and warmed many flour tortillas. My co-workers really loved the food! One of them told me that it was the best "Mexican food she had ever tasted!" Of course fajitas aren't exactly Mexican food, but I love them. I had quite a bit of chicken left over, so I ended up eating fajita chicken for 2 days.

Last Friday was my last class for this school year. The school year ends in March here in Japan and the new school year starts in the beginning of April. In my class we conducted an interview test. It was fairly simple, because I just asked for the students opinions about various subjects. My goal this term was to get the students to be able to tell me their opinions, even if they were in the simplest form. I would ask them "What do you think about _____?", and they had to respond to that by saying "I think that ______ because ______." Then they would have to ask me a question the same way. I was quite pleased with the results. Almost every student was able to have a small conversation with me. I was happy to talk to them about things. Honestly, I wasn't even marking them while we were talking. If they tried I gave them the points they deserved. Everybody is different, therefore I have to mark them differently. After they finished the small test they had to write a a message or comment on the class. I received a lot of funny, cute and sweet messages about the class. Most of my students have excellent English writing ability. So the messages were great. They were happy to talk, and they looked forward to the next year, so do I! ;)

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I didn't have to go to my school. They were only testing and interviewing the new junior high students that were entering my school in April. I mainly just hung out at home and relaxed. Tonight (Friday) I have to attend a dinner for my PTA English class. The students in the class (mainly parents and the lot) want to go eat sushi with me, so I have to go. I plan on eating absurd amounts of sushi. That's another good thing about Japan, sushi is quite cheap! Especially at the supermarket, where you can usually grab a decent sized sushi for about $3!

I will try to take a photo or two tonight! I'll be back real soon with an update! Cheers!

peace

vince

2 comments:

  1. Geez, that must be horrible to get to school drenched! I am glad that your students really responded on their interviews... are these the same students that were sleeping many blogs ago? I hope you have a nice time tonight. :) Also,so much has happened over here... call me this weekend so i can fill you in! Hope to hear from you soon. :)
    Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheap sushi? I am jealous!!!!!! Wanna trade some paella for some sushi?!

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!