Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finally

So today I had a "only in Japan" moment. I was going to a convenience store by my school today to grab a coffee. In Japan, they love their bottled drinks. There are so many different drinks. Far more than in the USA. You could probably have a different drink for every day of the week. Anyway, there are always interesting ways that they market these drinks. I saw a new coffee and it came with two, and it said "transformer inside". So of course I had to grab that. As I grabbed my lame coffee. An old dude came up to me and said in Japanese "Oh, you are a foreigner!". And in Japanese I replied "Yes, that is correct, I sure am!". He started to laugh because of my smart ass response. He asked how tall I was and I told him. He said that he was so happy to meet a foreigner. I told him that I was glad to meet him as well. Then I went to the register to pay for my sandwich and coffee. The dude came up to the register and told the clerk that he will pay for my items. I told him "No, no, that's OK!" But he insisted. It was only about 5 dollars and he gave the cashier 10 dollars. He insisted that I keep the change as well. I reluctantly took the change. He said that I just made his day happy. It was quite interesting. The funny thing is that the store I went to was the same store that the crazy lady screamed and ran away from me! haha What a difference in opinion here in Japan. There are people that just love foreigners and those that completely hate them. There is really isn't a medium. The man said that I made him have a happy day, however he did the same for me as well!

Tuesday was a Japanese holiday. Something about respecting dead family members?? Anyway, the important thing is that I had the day off. I cooked a lot yesterday. I cooked some Tex-Mex fajitas for me and my roommate. I had marinated the chicken for about 8 hours. I made some Guacamole, Refried bean, salsa and some veggies. We had a Tex-Mex lunch complete with flour tortillas. My roommate completely loved it. He was eating giant tacos! He had the perfect Taco technique, which was quite surprising since he is from Boston!! haha ;)  I had a great day. Anyway, I finally made a long blog post. I hope you enjoyed it. I will try to get some more stuff up here more frequently ok! Take care

peace

vince


p.s. here are some pics of the coffee and transformer toy









4 comments:

  1. sup vince,,,, that a freaking funny story,, your game is coming as soon as i can get to the store.... ,,, it was sold out at target yesterday...... love ya,,, danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vince!! That was an awesome gesture for that man to do for a "foreigner" lol. It's about time!! :) I am glad everyone loved your fajitas, now i am craving some... talk to you soon, take care.
    Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vincent,
    Glad to see you posting more often. We miss you here at home and love to hear about your escapades in Japan, big or small. Things going well here on the home front. Picture the kitty barely holding on to the bar...me.
    Yikes!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made my day? Did he say gaijin.. well of course he did. I love the free gift with purchase. Japan is famous for that! thanks for sharing your adventures and I bet your nihongo is waaay better than mine now!

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!