Thursday, May 8, 2008

Wow

So today was definitely the first time I have become pissed off while teaching in Japan. I wasn't visibly mad of course, because I am good at hiding my feelings, but inside was an inferno. I have been here for approximately 10 months and this is the first time...so I would have to say that's pretty good.

The day was going quite well. My second class of freshman are very noisy and quite frankly obnoxious. This is mainly due to the lack of discipline in the Japanese Education system. Talking is deemed acceptable and so is sleeping... yeah....

My students were rather talkative today and I wasn't about to deal with the talking today. I had to move 3 students around the class, and one of them I made her sit outside. All the students were very surprised by this. Mainly because there is never any response to their talking in class at all. My teaching partner was supporting me in my discipline rules, so it was much easier. Anyway, one student was talking outlandishly in class. I finally just told him shut up. He said ok, then under his breath he said "fuck you". Obviously the other students didn't know what that meant because they just kept on blabbing away. Meanwhile, I stopped the class and asked the student "what did you say?". He said predictably "nothing". I walked up to him and told him that his not funny in Japanese. He stopped immediately, and we told him to stay after class. Let's just say, he was about to shit his pants. Especially since I walked up right in front of him. Needless to say all the other students got the vibe that something went down, so they changed into the innocent angel student.

After class all the students left, and the one kid stayed behind. I asked him why he said "fuck you". He basically said that he saw it in a movie and didn't think it was that bad to say. I told him exactly what it meant in English while my co-worker translated word for word. I told him that he is a smart kid, and to act smart. He agreed and we had a hand shake, and that was it. He now knows what "fuck you" means. He is just lucky that he was not in the America on the streets saying that. He would have had a surprising result.

Anyway, I was a bit steamed about that. Probably because I was so shocked that someone said that. I used to work in a middle school in El Paso and I never heard a student say that in class. Granted, the student didn't even really know the severity of his words. However, he knows that it is not good so I can't allow that excuse.

I have basketball practice soon and tomorrow is Friday. So things are looking up! Thanks for the comments everybody. Oh and if you leave a comment, leave a name too. Especially because it's hard to know who leaves a comment when it says anonymous. I'll be back soon!

peace

vince

2 comments:

  1. teaching is hard. i can't even imagine doing it in a foreign land. you're doing great, v!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vince,
    I know what you mean about the disrespectful behavior, it shocked me when that girl over here cussed at me for not letting her leave early for lunch. As much as people complain about El Paso, i never heard about kids doing THAT to their teachers. You handled it very well. I will send you pictures of the graduation and party, wish you could be in El Paso too! Love you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!