Sunday, May 4, 2008

Golden Week...

So I have had an eventful past few days here in the land of the rising sun! Just in case you didn't know, that is Japan. I have been quite busy lately. Last week I would stay so late at work. Wednesday I didn't get home until about 8pm. This is all because of basketball practice.

Friday was the school "Enkai". This is basically a fancy party for the school to welcome the new teachers. This was my second Enkai. The prior Enkai was in December. It was held in Tennoji (area of Osaka), at a fancy hotel called Miyako Hotel. We all had to pay about $50 for the entry. As I looked at the hotel more, I realized why it was so damn expensive. Well we were fed some expensive, tasty and not so filling food. We listened to heartfelt speeches from outgoing teachers, and nerve filled speeches from the new teachers. I even had to say a small speech. Of course I wasn't told about this so I just said a few sentences in Japanese. I was quite surprised how I was able to do it with no preparation. After the 2 hour event, some of the young teachers (the happy time crew) all came together and we went to go drink and eat more. We had a really great time. I enjoy the company of those people very much. They are so kind to me, and I truly feel like a friend to them. Next week, we are all going to my friend/co-workers wedding party in Kyoto. I am so excited to go there. Next Saturday will be great!

Saturday was quite interesting. I decided that I really needed a haircut. So I found a good picture of my hair cut that I got when I was in the USA last month. I put it up on my laptop computer and walked to the local barber shop about 2 minutes away. I walked in and they were so surprised to see a foreigner. I showed them a picture of my hair and used my weak Japanese to explain that I wanted the "Onaji" same cut! The barber guy understood and proceeded to cut my hair. After about 1 hour, a head massage, all scissors, shampoo and tonic application I was done. Let's just say that was the best hair cut I have ever received. The guy didn't even use the oh so famous "buzzers" that are so well used in the states. I was damn impressed. It was about $35 but it was well worth it.

That night I went to meet a friend at an Izakaya "restaurant/bar" in Tennoji. She doesn't know so much English so our conversations were limited. However, we both had some laughs and smiles. I think it went well. I was still hungry after(like always) so before I went home I grabbed a double cheeseburger and McFlurry at Mc Donalds! haha :)

Today I went to the wonderful city of Kyoto(about 1 hour train ride from Osaka), with my co-worker Yamada Sensei. We went toured almost all the "popular" sites. We hiked up the marvelous Fushimi Inari Shrine. We ventured to the beautiful Kiyomizudera Shrine, with spectacular views of Kyoto. Overall, it was a nice day. It was quite hot and we became tired, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the day. I have many pictures and video to show you all.

Did you see all the videos on my viddler? If you click menu on the viddler box there are all my videos so you should re-check them. Anyway, I had a great weekend. I have the next two days off as well. This is all because of what they call "Golden Week" here in Japan. It is basically a series of holidays all jumbled into on week/weekend. Just another reason to have time off (I can't blame them). Well, I'm out, take care of yourself.

peace

vince

p.s. comments?


kyoto japan




kiyomizudera shrine


kimono girls :)


kiyomizudera shrine


kiyomizudera shrine


kiyomizudera shrine


fushimi inari shrine








apparently japan has "adopted" mothers day


on the subway back to my apartment in osaka

here is my viddler...remember after the video finishes click on menu and watch the other videos! :) there are many ok! :)


5 comments:

  1. sup b to tha rotha vince,
    just wanted to say hello, damn dude you seem to be very busy, thats good though, im glad you are having a good time. have a good week and ill call you when turtle gets here,,, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Vince, what a great, eventful weekend!! The pictures were so beautiful. Mar and I loved your video's, I felt like i was stomping up the steps with you lol. I Love you and miss you so much, take care! Oh yeah, Mar got Grand Theft Auto IV... all he can say is "Oh Man, just spend the $70!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. no comments? no love? that's how i feel on my blog, although mine is private but it's nice to have comments... hint hint.

    STOP posting pics of nihon. it makes me so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nihon seems so interesting, keep the pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, LOVE when u post videos!! I know it probably takes a while to put em up, etc. But they're fun and it's so much easier (in my opinion) to get a feel for what it must have been like to be there. :) Silly Vince! Talk to u soon. :P

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!