Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Change

Well as you all know the American Presidential Inauguration was today. Actually in Japan it was early this morning. I stayed up all night watching and gazing at the pictures I witnessed live and on the Internet via MSNBC.com. I have never seen such a beautiful scene in my life. I have traveled many places in the world, but I realized that I have taken for granted the beauty of my own country. I have never been to Washington D.C. but I know I am definitely going to try and make in next time I go back. I just kept thinking about the history of that place. All the people that worked in throughout the years for equality, if only they could have lived to see it. I envy the people that were able to see it in person. I am looking forward to this next president. He seems to be a great man with a following like no other. Should be interesting time ahead for America!

Today in my class, we got off on the topic of Obama. I don't know why, but the Japanese are in love with him. My students had so many questions about America and Obama. I taught them a little about the slaves in south, segregation, human rights, MLK, World War 2 and the Iraq war. They really don't know much about history. I showed them how minorities were separated by using the water fountain example. They were really shocked about this. One student told me that he disliked what the Americans did to the "black mans" as he said. I told him that I agreed with him. However I continued to tell him about how the Japanese in World War 2 took Korean people as slaves to build their military installations. They had no idea! I was glad to teach them a little about the world. It was truly fun, and that is the way education should be. Heck, they even learned a bit of English too!! I really had thank my teaching partner though! She helped me translate so much, and it was soooo helpful to me. I'm really starting to think that my plan about teaching English by using current affairs is a good and feasible idea! I just hope the next presentation will go just as well! :) Be back soon!

peace

vince

2 comments:

  1. hey, man. inspiring post. my students are the same way: they love obama even though he hasn't done a damn thing yet. i asked them why, and they said, "because he looks cool."

    as for japan's sketchy history, i think i'll let them find that out in high school. don't want to shatter them when they're too young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vince! I love the new layout for your page!! That is so cool that your students were intrigued... you found something they like, so run with it!!! I hope all is well with you, hope to talk to you soon :)
    Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!