Thursday, February 21, 2008

News and all that good stuff!

Hey everybody! How are things going for you? Well I have to say things are going pretty good over here. I mean nothing has really happened out of the ordinary lately.

I really don't even know if people even read my blog much anymore, so I really haven't had the drive to put up some new stuff. Anyway, this week is the official last week of classes at my school. This Friday the exams start and there are no more classes. Which is cool because I don't have to go to any classes. Basically I will be sitting around on my laptop playing Half-Life 2 and Portal next week. So I really can't complain about that right?! The good thing about being an ALT is that I don't have to go to the teacher's meetings and listen to all the nonsense that they talk about there.

I think you have all read about my not so positive feelings about the Japanese education system. Well, today I was giving a conversation test first period. All my students showed up except for one. I was worried about her because she was in my class yesterday. So I sent one of the other girls to the office to check and see if she had called in sick or something, you know since we had a TEST! Anyway, my student comes back and tells me that the absent girl is at the school. I asked, why she wasn't in my class then. The student told me that the girl was getting her hair dyed black by the principal because it was too light!! So basically, she was held back from taking the test, because she wanted to look nice and put some highlights in her hair. I cannot understand the logic of Japanese school systems sometimes. OK BIG DEAL! A GIRL GOT HIGHLIGHTS!?!? WOW WHAT A CRIME!!! This really backs up my theory that image is everthing in Japan. The content may be garbage but as long as it looks good! Is having your hair black more important than education?!?! I guess so! I felt bad for the girl, she did't do anything wrong and she missed my test too. But I talked to her a little while ago (with her newly dyed BLACK HAIR), and I will let her take the test at lunch time. Sorry for my long rant! I have never seen such a ridiculous thing at my school before, so I had to bitch about it!

Now for the good news y'all. I booked my ticket yesterday for my trip back to the USA! I will be leaving Japan on March 18th, and arriving in El Paso on March 18th until April 3rd. So pretty soon I will see most of you! I am looking forward to going home and eating some Moe's Mexican Restaurant, Rudy's BBQ, Whataburger, House Of Pizza, Casa Pizza, Taco Bell, oh man the list goes on!! Ok, well this ends my ridiculous blog for today! I hope you all are doing good! Leave me some comments if you are actually reading this thing. Talk to you soon! Bye bye!!!

peace

vince



p.s. why does everybody brush their teeth in the middle of the teachers room over here? it's one of the most bizarre things ever... oh man...

4 comments:

  1. I read....I like.

    And as for this blog....AMEN BROTHA!!
    Just show up to class (with black hair, not over the ears or eyes, and don't trim your eyebrows too short)and then once you're there, feel free to sleep, or talk. They definitely have a very selective (some might say superficial) set of rules and expectations for the students. It is a bit silly.

    And as for the toothbrushing thing....you haven't joined in yet? I love it. Let's enjoy brushing our teeth at our desks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know it's stupid. If student turned their hair too bright, teacher think student become "delinquent".

    And I don't know about that toothbrushing thing.
    You gotta ask them, or join them so you will see what is that for. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vince,
    boy if i were a student there, I would definitely be at the principals office getting my hair dyed. I feel so badly for your student, that is absolutely ridiculous that she had to conform to what "they" think she has to look like. :( I am looking forward to seeing you, I miss you so much! Thanks for the great advice the other day, it really paid off. Love you cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's hard for you to believe hair color can be a issue for school, because America is the land of free!! When I was in middle/high school, we could not dye our hair, nor have hair longer then the shoulder line(for girl, no longer then the top of ur ears for guy!) There are even rules of uniforms, the lengh of shirts, pants can't be too tide or too loose, even backpack rules! You wouldn't believe how many rules are there just for how are we suppose to look as a "student"...crazy! Anyways, I see you already book your flight back to EP, does this mean I won't see you in Japan?(..upset face..>.<)

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!