Saturday, February 2, 2008

Things are changing

今日はさいきんど?!So this week I only had 10 classes. The main reason is because the 3rd year (seniors) students have finished school already. They will graduate on March 5th. My new idea of not giving my students a written exam this term is going very well. If you remember from my previous blog post, I had an idea of having the student make a dialogue about a common situation. Well, right now they are on their second practice dialog. I am giving them a dialogue that I made. They will practice three different dialogues, then they will create their own. The final exam of the year will be their presentation of the dialogue. So I believe this gives the student more control of their own grade. The one thing that I am really happy about is that even the students that were the "sleepers" in my class are really involved in this project. It really makes my day to see them smile, seriously.

One of my other projects that I started this 4th and final term, was the "daily writing" activity. If you remember from previous posts. I gave my students a sheet with 8 boxes on each side. They have to write something in English every day right before the end of class. I decided not to give them a topic of the day, because I just want them to practice English. Well it started with simple things like "I'm sleepy today". I would go through every single one and write something to them in that square of the day. Currently, this has blossomed into students writing 4 to 5 sentences to me. We basically are having a conversation with out actually talking to each other. I think this is so nice, because I can get to know ALL of my students and they can get to know me. I definitely know that most are shy and they won't try to talk to me live. So this is a great way for them to interact. You would think that I would get tired of writing so much everyday. But it's the exact opposite, I am so excited after every class to see what they have to say.

Yesterday (Friday), I was approached by the school newspaper editor. He told me he me to write a self introduction in Japanese for the school newspaper. Well, I attempted to do it, and with help from my colleagues I was able to do it. I gave him the typed self intro, and he snapped a photo of me to put in the paper. It was pretty funny. He told me that the paper will be out for the start of the new school year in April, so I will put a pic of it up when I get it ok.

Last night was really nice. I ha my second "date" with this cool girl. Keep in mind that I didn't call it a date, she did, not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyway, I showed her this pub I know and she really liked it. Last Friday she took me to this crazy Hookah bar/restaurant, which was actually pretty sweet. Anyway, I see something happening here so I'll keep ya posted y'all! I really don't even know if I should be talking about this, it's hard to word it. But I want you to know what happens here in my life. I just try to document it.

So did you watch Cloverfield? I watched the lame bootleg online, since it's not coming out in Japan. This movie was very interesting, intense, funny and strangely sad. Action comes out of no where and the ending is quite heart pounding. The first person perspective is very nice, because it made me feel like I too was running through a apocalyptic Manhattan. Well let me know what you thought about it. Send me a comment with your opinion.

Today I'm going to head to a room shop later. I need to buy some curtains for my apartment, the curtains that the person before me left are absolute rubbish. So basically I can't take them anymore.

Well thank you for reading my long blog today. I hope you all are doing great. Enjoy your weekend.

peace またねー


vince

*currently listening to "the weepies"

3 comments:

  1. Hey Vincent,
    You're decorating! You'll feel so much better with new stuff. Next thing you know, you'll be painting the walls. Need to webcam soon. you are soo missed. Who's going to holler outside when the Giants score this sunday? it's just not the same w/out you.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I finally am able to write to you, I'll do it often. Your mom had to walk me through it. I know that I am 50+ but the real reason is that I graduated from Jefferson and I have never been able to overcome that (mentally incompetent - please don't check my spelling). Well, I hope that the new curtains attract females and that when I hear from your blog next, that you (we) are celebrating our Super Bowl win!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Uncle Fernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vince,
    You gotta send me a before and after pic. of your curtains! Please call me or we need to video chat... Not much is going on today, just another Mardi Gras party. lol "oh man" will just be another understatement! I miss you! Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment, and please leave your name. if you don't i have no idea who you are!